We try to do fun things with our kids on a regular basis. It’s not that we feel we need to entertain them (though we do feel that too), it’s more that we want them to experience life. Finding time to do things isn’t always easy, but we feel it’s important. We really don’t want our kids to experience a life full of cartoons, video games, and boredom.
We want their young years filled with fun and fond memories.
Well, both my wife and I wondered what we could do to make sure this happened. Sure we try to do a lot of activities with them, but is there something more we could do to help them love their childhood memories?
So we both sat down to make a list for us to work on. This list isn’t meant to be an all inclusive best parenting tips…just things we specifically would like to work on.
This is what we came up with…
- Take time to listen (really listen) to them.
- Keep big traditions with holidays and vacations.
- Keep small traditions weekly, and even daily.
- Work together, for example plant and maintain a garden every year.
- Take each kid on regular “date night,” just you and them.
- Let them order desert once in a while.
- Have a weekly “family night” were the whole family spends time together with out distractions (ie iPhones).
- Limit raising your voice in anger…try to only raise it during life threatening circumstances.
- Forgive quickly.
- Never argue with your spouse in front of them.
- Take a lot of photos…I believe you can never have too many photos of your kids.
- Take a lot of video.
- Keep a family blog, or journal.
- Have your kids keep an art/written journal, even if it’s very simple.
- Eat dinner together every night.
- Hug your kids goodnight, every night.
- Occasionally sing your kids to sleep, they don’t know what’s bad or good singing…just do it.
- Give your kids responsibilities they can take pride in.
- Praise them often.
- Be the first to show them new things, and places.
- Never gossip in front of your kids.
- Help your kids make and achieve goals.
- Teach them the importance and help them maintain healthy habits.
- Get down on your knees and play with your kids on their level.
- Laugh often.
This was our list we came up with, but I’d love to hear any suggestions from you. Let us know if we missed anything you felt we should include!