Oil pastels are awesome! How to blend with oil pastels is really easy, after understanding these two simple steps.
- Build the pastels from light colors to dark colors.
- Then use your lightest color to smooth and blend.
- Download and print the free project.
- Oil pastels (specific colors: yellow, orange, red, light green, dark green, light blue, dark blue, white)
Watch How To Blend With Oil Pastels
Side tip: The free download specifically uses small squares to help conserve oil pastels. As a parent I am (sometimes) money conscious, and one thing you’ll find out about oil pastels…they disappear quickly. They disappear because they “go on” thick. So with any oil pastel activity, I tend to keep the activities smaller.
If you’re having trouble watching the video here, watch it on YouTube!
Step By Step Instructions (fire)
1. Use the yellow oil pastel to first color the fire edges.
2. Then use orange to create the same fire shape, but lower than the yellow edge.
3. Next do the same with the red oil pastel. Draw the same fire shape but lower than the orange edges.
4. Then with the yellow oil pastel, go back over all the colors. This will smooth out the texture and blend all the colors together.
5. To do the background we switched the rule, and used the darker color (red) first. That’s fine, it’ll just give you a different (darker) result. Use the red oil pastel to quickly color in the background.
6. Then use orange (or yellow) to smooth and blend the red.
That’s it! Now experiment with it by trying different colors and see how it turns out.
Download And Print
If you’d like to download this free oil pastel activity, click the image below and right click to save.