This homemade finger paint recipe has been flying around Pinterest, like mad! So, we thought we’d give it a try and see if we like it.
Homemade Finger Paint Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 cups water
- food coloring
- marbles (for mixing)
- Warm water and ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- Stir until it thickens to the consistency of paint.
- Poor into a container.
- Add a squirt of food coloring (the amount of food coloring is really up to you).
- Add a couple marbles.
- Place lid on top and shake.
We cooked two batches and it made enough to fill three pizza sauce jars.
Here’s a list of what we liked and didn’t like.
- Right off the bat, if you couldn’t tell, this is super cheap!
- Making the paint is a fun activity to do with your kids.
- Super easy to make. The first batch I made got too thick, so I just added more water. The overall consistency is up to you. Try one batch thin and another thick, and ask your kids what they like most. Thin paint will work better with paintbrushes. Thick paint is easier to use with fingers (since it sticks better).
- I found that it’s best to stop warming the ingredients before it gets to the desired thickness, because it continues to cook after removing it from the burner.
- If you want to make more just double or triple the recipe.
The Bad (or not so good)
- The colors weren’t very strong. It looked milky on paper, even though it looks very “rich” in the jar. You could probably just add a lot more food coloring to make the colors deeper.
- The food coloring can stain, especially depending on how much you use. This was not a big deal because we didn’t use that much food coloring.