Hey art friends! It’s just me today, and I’m doing a rose speed drawing. This one was a lot of fun and is a great way to practice shading. So, even though this video is sped up you can still follow along by pausing the video at the different stages and match what I do.
- Red construction paper
- Colored pencils (red, black, creme)
Here’s the reference image I found on Google search.
Here’s a very simple outline of the different stages:
- Boxing in or the underdrawing (this is the light outlines of all the main shapes)
- Mid tone shading (this stage I just used the red pencil to shade all the middle tones)
- Dark tone shading (I had a brown pencil but used the black pencil the most, this stage is where I put in all the dark tones)
- Highlighting (the last little step I used the creme color to add small little highlights on some of the petals)
Watch Rose Speed Drawing